[ubuntu-in] a English-to-Hindi transliteration tool for Ubuntu

Amarendra Kumar er.amar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:22:22 GMT 2010

Because I have never typed in Hindi using a Hindi keyboard layout. That's
why I need transliteration. Plus, my Hindi typing needs are limited to just
typing my paper diary (quite some pages and majority are in Hindi, since
class VIII).

Learning Hindi typing while I can't actually touch-type in English right now
won't be wise.
So, I think transliteration is a good option.

And thanks, I will try SCIM anyway.

Regards,

2010/2/22 Nitesh Mistry <mistrynitesh at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Amarendra Kumar <er.amar at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I need suggestions for a English-to-Hindi transliteration tool on Ubuntu :
>>
>>    - one which runs without Wine,
>>    - it can be anything - browser app, desktop app etc,
>>    - *Should work Offline.*
>>

> I think *scim* does a good job of letting you type in Hindi. It works well
> in Ubuntu, though I have not been able to get its Kubuntu variant (skim)
> work yet. It also has a phonetic keyboard layout. I wonder why you are
> insisting on 'transliteration' tool.
>

> --
> Nitesh
> http://tech.mistrynitesh.com