[ubuntu-in] Resolved - an old issue with Thunderbird

K Ramnarayan ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 15:33:37 GMT 2010

Hi

Many years back i had posted to this list about a problem i was facing with
Mozilla thunderbird.

The problem was that my net connection was a slow dial up (yep slower than 56
kbps) and that i was getting a decent bit of mail in my gmail account (gmail
was setup through pop service in thunderbird)

The problem was that thunderbird would not download all the mails in gmail. It
would simply give up after an unknown x amount of data.

Searching for a solution - lead me to resetting gmail pop service to begin
downloading from the beginning (when i had access to broadband to download)
This too did not work and i was stuck with duplicate messages and having
thunderbird give up downloading anything beyond aug 2007.

There were some solutions than used some command line tools through which i
could download to mbox or maildir folders / files. Tried this and for some
reason it did not work. Of course i did not try hard enough.

Now in 2010 - yes with about 20000 un-downloaded mails in my gmail account
there appears to be a solution (appears because its still work in progress)

The answer is Kmail - i set it up - imported messages from thunderbird, the
latest on it being from aug 2007, and since installtion kmail's  been slowly
and steadily downloading my gmail mails to my HD location. Its slow (because i
think the net itself is slow) so hopefully in about 100 days i will catch up
to current times :-)

why you may ask do i want to do this - well for some reason if gmail goes down
in the future, i hopefully will still have my mail and attachments
second even if there is no internet access i can still refer to communication
third - it makes searching (in combination with beagle) for stuff quite
effective
Fourth kmail seems smooth esp in combination with kontact etc

So Just thought that after all the aggravation to the list about thunderbird
problems i should tell you that a resolution is underway

regards
ram