[ubuntu-in] TIp : Using a Dictionary Off line in Ubuntu

Amarendra Kumar er.amar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:18:36 GMT 2010

Great walk-through Ram.

However, you can check this too: http://artha.sourceforge.net/  Artha: the
Open thesaurus.

This light weight offline dictionary uses WordNet. People who miss WordWeb
will surely love it for it's customizable hot-key and fast response.

I've installed these dictionaries:

stardict-BritannicaConcise-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-cmudict-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-cmupd-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-comn_sdict_axm05_English_Hindi-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd-jargon-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd-moby-thesaurus-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd-vera-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd-web1913-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd_www.dict.org_foldoc-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd_www.dict.org_gcide-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-dictd_www.dict.org_wn-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-eng_irregular-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-EnglishEtymology-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-freedict-eng-hin-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-longman-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-merrianwebster-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-oald-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-oxford_collocations-2.4.2.tar.bz2
stardict-thesaurus-ee-2.4.2.tar.bz2

2010/2/1 Dibyajyoti Mohapatra <dibyam at vubites.com>

>>> make sure the source name is checked, sometimes you may have added it but
>>> the source name specified by you may not be selected.
>>>

> >> Of course I did that, but still it didn't work. Also inside the "Add
> dictionary source" dialog box, I could not find any dictionaries listed
> however the list was available on the main window's "Available
> dictionaries".
>

>> am posting below the details of
>> /home/ram/.gnome2/gnome-dictionary/source-1260764916-30506.desktop
>> this is my customized setup
>> [Dictionary Source]
>> Name=source-1260764916-30506
>> Description=localmocal
>> Transport=dictd
>> Hostname=127.0.0.1
>> Port=2628
>> **
>>

> >> This worked like charm!! There was no such file and I created it ;) Now
> I can see the dictionaries in the list too!!
>

>> at this stage it gets a bit beyond my skil level but the files are
>> supposedly not normally editable
>>

> >> You are amazing!! Thank you :)
>

>> How ever as you can see my dictionary description is localmocal
>>
>> what does yours look like
>>

> >> I liked the name "localmocal" and adapted the same for mine too :)
>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Dipu

Amarendra Kumar