[ubuntu-in] Recovering data from a formatted HDD

Narendra Diwate narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 12:17:27 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Tuesday 28 December 2010 05:09 PM, nagendra prasad wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Yesterday I formatted my HDD accidentally . I had win xp and Mint
> installed. The issue is now my HDD is raw. I have some docs and photos which
> I really want back. Is their any tool which I can use with any live CD of
> Ubuntu to recover my data and partitions. Please help me.

To add:

Testdisk/photorec is to be run from a liveCD/Liveusb and you need a separate
HDD/Portable HDD to store the recovered data. The recovered data will be
huge in both number and total size, so where ever you decide to save it, it
needs to be big enough.  The file names will in all likelyhood change and so
if you are looking at selected documents or files only recover those
selected file types.

Regards

Narendra Diwate