[ubuntu-in] problem with earphone

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 01:30:14 GMT 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Rahul Devan <rahuldevan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alok,
> Did you try the Ubuntu forum? here is one post that may interest you:
>
> http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598229
>
> Should be a problem with the Alsa drivers installed on your system.

No, I think the problem being described is slightly different - that
audio is played through the both the headphones and the internal
speakers simultaneously, and one cannot mute the internal speakers
while headphones are plugged in.

I have faced this in the past with a Lenovo, and is, I believe related
to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/477226
. There seems to be a few potential solutions mentioned there, but I
would not want to recommend any right now without the hardware around
to test. If anyone has figured it out, do post - it is not clear from
the possible solutions on that bug report which one would be best to
attempt / explained in a way a newbie may understand.

Anyway - hope that helps,
Sanjay