[ubuntu-in] Fwd: Lucid Freezes

Narendra Diwate narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:25:10 BST 2010

I am facing a peculiar problem with my Ubuntu Lucid install that is
troubling me for the past week to 10 days.

Before I describe the issue, I am using Lucid 64 bit on a assembled desktop
with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600 with Gigabyte MBoard with Nvidia GeForce 6100
Graphics and 2GB RAM. The system is fully updated as of yesterday night. I
use the normal themes that come with Lucid (but not the default )and have no
Effects or 3D Compiz or others activated. No widgets or any other screen
personalization other than a different but included theme. Because I do not
use Effects and i get my max resolution of 1024X768, i also have not
installed Hardware NVidia drivers. Also this is not a new install. It was
installed when Lucid came out, but the problems started about 10 days ago.

 The problems began with Firefox closing when I restored a session or
clicked on a new link to open in a new tab. It would suddenly close and also
with it close all other apps that were running at the time. It would also
happen suddenly without any relation to Firefox. I would be facing a bare
desktop with all apps running at the time closed down. If I try opening an
app or any menu item incl Synaptic or right click on desktop to change
wallpaper, the system would either close all apps and give me the desktop
with the mouse and keyboard working/responding or completely freeze with the
screen frozen with white shadows of windows that were there in front. I
thought it was a firefox issue and so removed the session manager. But the
issue remained. Lately it has got aggravated. I find the whole desktop
freeze at apparently no reason and not necessarily when firefox is running.
I find the screen gets disturbed and the desktop freezes. I get either the
desktop with background or a grey screen, but No mouse action, No ALT+F(?)
to get to a terminal, no response to keystrokes. The only way I know of
getting out of this situation is a hard reboot. The one time I could see
something is when the theme changed itself to GNOME default and a lot of
message windows that say:
Show desktop has quit unexpectedly
Window List has quit unexpectedly
Indicator applet has quit unexpectedly
Indicator applet session has quit unexpectedly
Workspace switcher has quit unexpectedly

I tried to change the Theme back to my default Clearlooks and the same story
of all apps closed and desktop freeze again. Looks ilke a issue involving
Xserver. Searched thru Ubuntu forums and seems that this is happening but no
clear info on what or how this is caused and how to fix this.

Any Ideas you guys have or similar experience anyone had, or likely cause
scenarios or where to start looking pl share.

--
Regards

Narendra Diwate

--