[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu and Archlinux Dual boot

C S Shyam Sundar csshyamsundar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 13:07:09 BST 2010

> Gentoo is a pain to maintain, and I would recommend it only if you
> have a use case that justifies it. I was an avid Gentoo user in
> college for three years, where I had the time to recompile the kernel
> and other packages to enable/disable features. This is of course
> solved if you use the genkernel script to generate the kernel in
> gentoo, but that for me that would defeat the purpose of using of a
> source only distro which allows customization and tweaks.

Not entirely true. I work for a company where we have production servers
running on Gentoo. Note that we have to maintain our own binary repo. But
the performance is phenomenal.

> As far as support goes, the gentoo wiki used to be quite well
> maintained. Not sure if that's the case these days.

Gentoo Wiki is maintained.
IRC is friendly for support.

Again, don't bother with Gentoo if you don't have time to invest. Not
> saying it's a bad distro, in fact it is quite the opposite if you have
> the time and energy to set it up to your liking.

True.

-- Shyam