[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu and Archlinux Dual boot

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 07:02:24 BST 2010

On 4/26/10, Ritesh Sinha <sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arch is the best (well documented) rolling release. No other beginner
> friendly ones that I am aware of. But you can look at it this way,
> once you've spent the effort in setting it up the first time you don't
> really have to do much to keep it running. You should also be aware
> that you will usually have bleeding edge software and compatibility
> might break from time to time (this is anecdotal of course, YMMV).

So what kind of net connection is required for Arch -

from what i can gather a pretty reliable and fat pipe seems to be the
order of the day.

was realy curious what rolling release meant - so checked the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

"A rolling release is typically implemented using small and frequent
updates. However, simply having updates does not automatically mean
that a piece of software is using a rolling release cycle; to qualify
as a rolling release, the philosophy of developers must be to work
with one code branch, as opposed to discrete versions. Updates are
typically delivered to users using a package manager and a software
repository accessed through the internet."

seems to me that this is something that requires constant access to
the net and also not really meant for systems that require stability.
The latter because there is no way such solling release can account
for individual systems setup and cutomized (or can it)

The advantage i see is that instead of lump sum one gets small updates
(maybe) and it means that after the initial install , maybe, one can
survive on a small bandwidth.

There won't be patches, anything recitified will automatically appear
in the main rolling release

Also it probably means there is never going to be any excitement /
hype about the latest release. Once you install a rolling release all
one can say is "aha my system is the same as it was 10 years ago" -
thats something actually.

regards
ram