[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu and Archlinux Dual boot

C S Shyam Sundar csshyamsundar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 17:24:53 BST 2010

My responses inline -

2010/4/25 NARENDRA DIWATE <narendra.diwate at gmail.com>

> Hi
>
> I have been using Linux for the past 5 years, Opensuse initially, then
> ubuntu, both dual boot with WinXP. I moved permanently to Ubuntu about 1.5
> years ago. I like to keep my System upto date and hence that has involved
> upgrading the OS every 6 months.
>
> I would like to put an end to this 6 monthly upgrade madness by moving to a
> rolling release, i.e Arch initially dual booting with Ubuntu.
>
> Now pl help with these few Q's:
> 1. Is this a good Idea at all for a guy not very comfortable with command
> line (but can live with it if needed) inspite of a 5 year linux Exp?

2. Though Arch is considered the best Rolling release, is it the best choice
> for a guy like me? Are there any beginner friendly oned out there? Chakra is
> still Alpha so not so comfortable. Frankly the Arch Documentation and Wiki
> are the most comprehensive and well thought out i have seen in the recent
> past.

Arch, Gentoo are distributions which are suitable for people who like to be
bleeding edge. The PRO's are usually, optimized binaries and you are not
dumped with a vendor's choice, and you can install what you exactly want.
The CON's are - If something breaks, you'd be spending time fixing it and
you would not have much of support like Debian/Ubuntu. Gentoo is superior
when it comes to performance. IMHO years of experience does matter to an
extent, and since I dont know what you did these 5 years, I cant comment
much.

My opinion, if you want performance, bleeding edge stuff, install
Gentoo/Funtoo/Arch. If you want stability, install Debian/Mint ( an ubuntu
variant, but more stable ).

> 3. If I can go ahead which should be installed first? Remember dual booting
> with WinXP, XP is always installed first. Ubuntu comes with GRUB2, Arch with
> GRUB Old. Naturally the Rolling release will stay, while the other OS might
> change.

IMHO - If you are not playing games in XP., install linux alone and then
install Virtual Box or VMWare player and then install XP inside that.

> 4. All my Data with live in separate partitions not along with any OS. So
> Which FS type is better - EXT3 or EXT4. No WinXP, so no need of NTFS. In
> addition it is backed up to a USB Hard Disk.

Ext3 is fine. It is time tested and stable. You have free FS drivers which
allows them to be accessible in either OS. Another important thing is have
your /home folder as a separate partition.

> Regards
>
> Narendra Diwate

-- Shyam