[ubuntu-in] OT: gmail sms recovery (was leina yar)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 10:59:25 BST 2010

HI

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 13:58:20 +0530
> "Ramnarayan.K" <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, being unable to download from Gmail is probably just a
> configuration issue. I have used Google with Evolution till I
> stopped using Evolution. However, this *was* before 2007, though I
> am surprised to hear that it has problems with Gmail. Anyone
> else using Evolution, Thunderbird, etc., with Gmail care to comment?
>
> I have been using claws-mail happily for several years now, and it
> has absolutely no problem with Gmail.

Am not sure when the problem originated, maybe it had something to do
with large attachments and some problems on my part with thunderbird.

You would know that in gmail when one enables pop services it offers
either from the beginning or from the current date, there is no option
for a randome user defined date.

So after about 2 years (2005, 06) of happy thunderbird and gmail
syncing in 2007 something when wrong maybe a changed distro or
something i cannot be sure and thunderbird stopped downloading gmail.
(i have used thnderbird in dual mode - i.e used by both M$ and linux
at the same time) and have upgraded thnderbird and the dsitribution
editions (it has always been ubuntu since 2005).

In an attempt to rectify the situation i reached a place with
broadband and attempted to restart the downloads - this is about mid
2007 when gmail / thunderbird got stuck. It did not work

I tried to migrate to evolution - this did not work

I redid my pop to again start from the begiining on a totally fresh
thunderbird install - and after a few days (stop start because of
internet access) it got stuck exactly at midway 2007.

After that i gave up , only recently i tried kontact and was happy to
note that it had begun downloading my mails from the stoppped point
and as of now its reached dec 2007.

However what does happen is that every time kontact starts up it and
begins downloading it shows me say as of now
201,608 kb remaining, downloading 106kb of 507 kb

The latter part is what is relevant - this would have started off at
say downloading xx of 11000 kb and as the days progress it continues
to reduce.

The overall remaining kb reduces but the immediate download figure
will grind to 0 and all downloading will stop.

The thing is i cannot figure out what is the issue and what there
should be this reducing inward flow.

Thats the reason for searching for an alternative to being able to
download gmail.

ram