[ubuntu-in] Hindi Language pack - change in how to enable

K Ramnarayan ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 06:40:00 BST 2010

Hi

Am in the process of installing Ubuntu Ultimate 2.5 on some friends Lenovo
B450 laptops, installation etc all successful. Wanted to install hindi
language pack and all things to do with hindi so that they could also log on
using hindi menu's etc.

I installed the supposed language packs. but this seems to not have be
enabled, logged in and out and even restarted the computer but hindi language
option is not available.

Initially i had typed out a mail to ask for help but the mail would'nt go so
searched around and found in preferences

System - preferences - Language support

on accessing this it asks whether you want to enable language support - it
shows almost every language under the sun (and i think some under the moon as
well) am not sure this is a good idea, just an overload of stuff . So i said
remind me later (that i don't need all this)

Once this window goes off there is another in window at the bacl
 For My menus and windows use :

For everyone at Startup and login use

There is a keep the same box

Keyboard Input method has a few options

and there there is a loop back to install language

Initially i wondered if selecting any language other than english would wreck
my system and make it difficult to navigate / type in passwords etc.

However I unchecked the "keep the same box" and in the For my menus and
windows use - I selected hindi

In the for others i kept it as english (india)

I logged out and voila once i select a user (in my case the default user) i
get the option on the lower left to choose between english and hindi (bharat)
Luckily the menus etc change not the input method - which continues to remain
english.

Fo those who may not know the method to change the input langauge is
controlled by System - Preferences - Keyboard - Layouts - Add (and then add
your language of choice) For Hindi it is simply India India (if you want the
inscript keyboard) for other hindi input methods choose accordingly (or for
your language of preference)

One can control how the keyboard changes by specifying in layout options.

In my computer i have enabled left menu for hindi and right windows key for
english

i have also added a short cut to my top panel (right click on panel and select
keyboard indicator) pressing on this loo[ps through all the languages one has
installed. I have 2 so its just one click to change languages.

 hope this is useful to some

ram