[ubuntu-in] Swiftfox versus Firefox

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 09:56:33 BST 2010

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM, K Ramnarayan <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi
>
> recent there were some articles on swiftfox, the distribution (os) specific
>

> implementation of firefox. Its supposedly a bt faster and also better to
> use
>
> because of it better integration with the installed OS.
>
> I have installed swiftfox from the apt-get repos for this purpose.
>
> Am using it and can say that it seems n diiferent in features from firefox
> but
>
> haven't seen an noticeable difference in performance,
>
> So question is how does one compare browser performance, is there any one
> else
>
> using swiftfox and what do you have to say about it.
>
>  Then there is this problem with licensing, and more *importantly* is some
> what closed source nature and hence resultant security concerns. This
> concerns me - esp if there is no significant advantage in swfitfox then it
> may be better to stick to
>
>  see this article - Swiftfox - the perverting of an open source browser
> http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/61334
>
> links
>
> http://getswiftfox.com/
>
> ram

At any cost I will avoid Swiftfox, just because it is closed source. As you
said, it is more of the security concern than ethics for me.
We wont even know what is happening behind the scenes.

Also, I would like to add one more point.
Take any browser and start browsing (Don't do any benchmarking) and you will
notice there there will be no difference in browsing speeds, the main reason
is we cannot notice the speed difference, it is so negligible (milli / micro
seconds). Also the benchmarks are based on Javascript rendering speed, to
the best of my knowledge, most of the websites have more of HTML/CSS than
javascripts.