[ubuntu-in] How to verify actual space on a disk (maybe OT)

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 13:17:43 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> Recently a friend of mine brought a USB pen Drive (Flash Disk) of 500
> GB for Rs 1500-/ from Palika Bazaar.

If this is true, surely I would like to know the device specifications, and
would like to own one for myself.

> First I don't believe it. However i tried it on my system and checked
> using df -h and it showed 500 GB (free space 498 GB)
>

> Second its formatted to FAT 16.
>
> So my questions
> 1. Incredible as it may be i refuse to belive that this small device
> is actually 500 Gig  so how does one verify that. I could copy data
> and i think it will give up after about 10 GIg or less, but is there
> any other way

1)Test it in various partition editors/  Volume managers

2)Copy a image/movie of bigger size say 4-5 GB, and then duplicate same
image multiple times so that it does not take any time but fill up the
remaining space (This is the best idea I can think of...)

> 2. What is the max size a FAT 16 partition (and FAT 32) be - i think
> FAT partitions have a limit

According to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
FAT-12  32MB
FAT-16  2GB(or 4GB  with 64 bit cluster size)
FAT-32 2TB  (or 8TB or 16TB)

:)