[ubuntu-in] DTP on Ubuntu

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:34:46 BST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> am interested in knowing if there are any folks doing professional /
> semi professional or high quality work using Ubuntu (or any flavour of
> linux)
>
> if so what tools do you use.
>
> The interest is because i find it very hard to produce different
> outputs and they are mostly hack jobs and are not consistent in
> outputs or in repetitions.

You could use LaTeX tools available in dblatex package. The source
could be either a tex document or docbook document.

We use docbook format to write release notes and then use dblatex to
convert them to PDF (with tex file being intermediate format with some
tweaking). We do not change the output format as often. But it is far
easier to produce professional looking release notes than trying to
create a good looking .doc file in OOo Writer.

Onkar