[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu Calendar

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 14:35:14 GMT 2009

Hi!

The calendar is a very good idea indeed :).  Here's what I think of
some of the points:

Ideas: The current set of ideas is a good start (it's really good, but
I guess, we can brainstorm a little more).  A wiki page with the ideas
being discussed is the best way to go forward.  Mailing lists can get
confusing at times when discussing ideas, and I'm not sure if everyone
will be able to access IRC (people like me, who are behind a
firewalled network).

> A Customized DVD / CD - of Ubuntu - we could get the default one from
> Ubuntu but what if we could remaster a DVD / CD which has all the
> software used and includes the original calendar file as well in the
> templates / or some other section. (maybe we could

Softwares we could use:
Rendering software like Blender or KPovModeler (I've tried working on
a simple scene in KPovMod, and it's not all that difficult), to create
a nice 3D graphic.
GIMP (pretty obvious), to do most of the processing work
and maybe Inkscape to create the final calender by composing all the
art, as handling text is often a lot easier in vector graphics
softwares, as compared to raster ones like GIMP.

> NORMS -
>
> 1. Use only open source software
+1

> CALENDAR FORMAT -
> I don't (as yet) know the professional names of the size but am sure
> we will find out soon enough :-)
>
> The Desktop Calendar - the one that sits on desktops (the table
> desktops not the computer desktops)
> The Large Wall Calendars - which are one large chart sheet and not folded)
> The folded Wall Calendar - - like a flip chart

+1 for the Desktop Calendar.  However, if we are aiming at a lot of
content, Large Wall Calendars will give us a lot of real estate :)

> 3. Do we need to ask Canonical and other agencies about using their
> logos. This is not a commercial venture but we will still need to pay
> for the actual calendars so does that imply a financial something //
> that they should be worried about.

I guess Aanjhan or Hardik could clarify.  Also, I remember that a
similar issue was discussed on the list, and should be there in the
archives.

Here's what I can help with: I can click decent snaps
(http://flickr.com/photos/ninadsp).  I've been processing photos and
making posters very actively on campus for the student clubs that I'm
a part of for the past 3 years (I haven't uploaded any of the posters
anywhere, but if someone wishes to, I can send em over :) ).  Though
most of my work has been in Adobe Photoshop, I've been using GIMP for
most of my photo processing recently, and am getting used to it :).
My only problem right now is, my exams start in 2 days, and will
continue till 15th Dec, so I'll be able to contribute to anything but
brainstorming after the exams.

I'm pretty excited about this idea, and hope to help :)

Ninad S. Pundalik
http://twitter.com/ni_nad
http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2DF7 B856 C75E C9F9 0504 C0EF D456 1946 7C45 2C69