[ubuntu-in] Need Help with WINE & Tally 9.2

Ritesh Sinha sinha.k.ritesh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 06:30:36 GMT 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 7:11 PM, nagendra prasad
<nagendra802000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My friend has 20 systems and he works with tally for most of the time. He
> wants to switch to Ubuntu/Linux from windows. I have tried to install Ubuntu
> and using Wine I have installed Tally 9.2. Everything is working fine except
> that when I start Tally its taking a long time to load and its impossible to
> use it in that way.

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Long load times can be caused
due to a number of issues, have you tried running Tally from a
terminal and observing the messages displayed? Have you tried changing
the version of Windows that Wine is set to run? (e.g. Changing it to
Windows 2000 etc)

With Wine, sometimes one can often fix the problem with native dlls
from a legal Windows installation.
I would love to help you trace down the problem but I don't have a
copy of Tally and I doubt if they provide trial versions.

> I have tried on 2-3 different systems with wine but didn't worked. Is their
> any other tool with which I can use tally in Ubuntu. Also, if anyone know
> any other package which could replace Tally in Ubuntu with the same features
> as Tally 9.2? Please help me.

As pointed out by Abhinav gnucash is the closest. However I'm doubtful
if it can actually replace the workflows provided by Tally.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Guru Prasad
> Ubuntu Voice GTK+ Forum