[ubuntu-in] FFMPEG Video to Mp4, Mp4 to video/audio problem

Mehul Ved mehul.n.ved at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 13:09:23 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Sanjay Bhangar <sanjaybhangar at gmail.com> wrote:
> One option is to compile ffmpeg yourself with all the libraries and codecs
> you need: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg .
> You used to be able to also get a fully functional version off medibuntu -
> http://medibuntu.org , but it seems like they might have removed it from the
> medibuntu repositories now for some reason ...
>
> I haven't had to do a compile of ffmpeg in some time, so not sure if the
> link above works for Karmic . Let us know if you do try that route and I'll
> try and help with any errors. If you do plan on doing a lot of video
> encoding, I do suggest compiling your own ffmpeg. Otherwise, you can just
> use mencoder as suggested by others.

I did compile ffmpeg from svn. medibuntu repositories for karmic don't
have ffmpeg
Here's what I did
svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
cd ffmpeg
./configure --enable-nonfree --enable-gpl --enable-pthreads
--enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb
--enable-version3 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libxvid
make && make install

I could not enable libx264 as ffmpeg required x264 to be greater than
0.78 compared to 0.67 and 0.65 available in the repositories. FYI, i
have svn release 20428.