[ubuntu-in] FFMPEG Video to Mp4, Mp4 to video/audio problem

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:22:35 GMT 2009

2009/11/9 Mallikarjun <mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com>

> Dear friends,
>   I have problem figuring out which library to install for ffmpeg to work
> with mp4 files,
> I can convert flv to avi, mp3 and all I wanted but not to/from mp4.
> I was able to do this in previous versions, and did a fresh install
> recently.
>
> By mp4, I am assuming you want to convert to the mp4 container with the
h264 codec. The h264 codec doesn't come with the default ffmpeg issues since
there are patent issues associated with it.

One option is to compile ffmpeg yourself with all the libraries and codecs
you need: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ffmpeg .
You used to be able to also get a fully functional version off medibuntu -
http://medibuntu.org , but it seems like they might have removed it from the
medibuntu repositories now for some reason ...

I haven't had to do a compile of ffmpeg in some time, so not sure if the
link above works for Karmic . Let us know if you do try that route and I'll
try and help with any errors. If you do plan on doing a lot of video
encoding, I do suggest compiling your own ffmpeg. Otherwise, you can just
use mencoder as suggested by others.

Hth,
Sanjay