[ubuntu-in] Interested in hearing about ser experiences about Karmic Koala (9.10) - WOW

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 06:48:18 GMT 2009

Hi

just installed Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, last night.

To start with just one word *WOW*

where do i start the eulogies from - slick, fast, clean and almost
everything works - i have not found much missing and just absolutely
love it.

The new start up screen, the tonnes of available background options .
The general air of something good under the hood. I love it already.

Firefox is the latest and works well.
It fixed the bug which disabled me from using the BSNL CDMA Huawei ets
2288 - which now works without a hitch

the default print to file have added an SVG option (to the existing pdf and ps)

Ubuntu Software centre seems nice - will take getting used to, esp if
one uses synaptic

Latest openoffice

During the install they had a screen which was giving a running commentary

The gripes
1. missing wvdial had to install from files downloaded for 9.04 -
luckily they worked so i can have the internt
2. it missed my ubuntu 8.10 install and has not loaded it up in grub
?? this is a pain because i need to redo my system. However it picked
up a second OS - Ubuntu studio ?? Not good this ??

4. Missing Apps -
thunderbird -
inkscape
audacity
scribus
gthumb
wvdial (mentioned above)

Big Gripe
It did not know how to figure out a Data Card (another mail on this
posted yesterday). For once i would have liked to see Ubuntu pick up
my device and say here it works no need to do anything (it just
friggin works)

End of story - i can't wait to lay my hands on the repos to make sure
everything works and have a clear 4 months before getting excited
about 10.04

regards
ram