[ubuntu-in] Interested in hearing about ser experiences about Karmic Koala (9.10)

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:43:17 GMT 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Saikiran Madugula <hummerbliss at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ramnarayan.K wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> am keen to know what user feedback there if for Karmic Koala , from
>> users on the list who may have upgraded / reinstalled.
>>
>> regards
>> ram
>>
> OK here goes my experience installing 9.10 on HP Compaq 6735b. Installation was
> smooth.
>
> - On first reboot I get the login screen and after you enter your creds a white
> screen appears and thats it. Workaround: Logged in with failsafe GNOME and
> logged out and the next login was fine.
>
> - network manager is gone I do not see it on the panel.

May be it is not gone form panel but the icon is something you are not
familiar with so you can not recognize it.
Or may be the applet got uninstalled for some reason and you should
try installing network-manager-gnome package.

> - Kernel hangs when I try to enable broadcom proprietary drivers so probably I
> can not use wireless on my laptop. (people still use broadcom isn't it ?).
> Probably will open a bug for it.

Which card is it? I have broadcom 4306. I am wondering if I should
hold off upgrade to karmic.

> - empathy and thunderbird automatically imported by pidgin accounts (fantastic).
>
> - there are lots of stuff in dmesg about spurious reponses from hda-intel. But
> sound works direct out of the box (which is improvement from 8.10).
>
> - Multiscreen set up was delightful no more fiddling with Xorg.conf.
That has been the case since jaunty. Anyway nice to know it is still
the case. :-)

Onkar