[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu, Dell inspiron and nVidia!

Biswajit Dutta Baruah indianorthodoc at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:34:31 BST 2009

Dear Friends,

As a follow up of my earlier posts, I have to admit that installing the
beta nVidia driver v185 did not work as well. The system went in for a
freeze. The system would boot up but I presume the x server would not
start up. Not possible to access the terminal as well. Powering the
system down was the only option available. Had to wait for about 10-15
Min before powering up my laptop. This time I went into recovery mode,
and dropped to a root shell. First thing I did was uninstall the nvidia
driver. Then back to the recovery console, I did the auto x-config.
After which I resumed normal boot. And the system was up again minus all
the fancy bells and whistles!

And the firs thing I am doing is writing in this mail to the list.

Now I have decided to return the laptop to Dell for  overhauling the
nvidia graphics card, not immediately as it is functioning fine
otherwise and I have got some important work to finish.

Sounds like I am the only odd man out!!

orthodoc