[ubuntu-in] How to increase /root partition size in Ubun tu 8.04

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:44:01 BST 2009

Hi

Not a direct response but a possible solution.

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Leena <leena at itforchange.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any way I can increase /root partition's size after
> installation, using gparted?
> or anyway to change directory for default installation files from /root
> to /home"

1. Why not reinstall and in the process upgrade.
2. If you have installed gparted you can first move the data from the
front to the back (see the gui bar to figure what i am saying) then
resize the size of the /home which will create some space (unused).
Make sure you back up your data - things do happen
My personal pref for /(root) partition size is 5-7 GB
3. The reinstall 8.04 or any of the newer versions 8.10 or 9.04. When
installing using the live cd version again run gparted delete the
existing root and merge the two unsed partions to form one bigger
partion. and  now you can use manual disk configuration option select
this new partition as the root.

This should allow you to have an expanded partition.
If you want to use / retain 8.04 and have a lot of stuff installed -
then first install apton and create an apton cd - then reinstall 8.04
with the expanded /root install apton and run it and you should be
able to easily get back all the stuff you installed without having to
repeat installing from the net.

ram