[ubuntu-in] wll not working

suranjan jii suranjan.suranjan at gmail.com
Fri May 8 13:52:29 BST 2009

Hello there!

I have been struggling for more than one month to fix WLL internet
connection, But still i couldnot have get the right solution. if some big
brother will give solution then it will be a very great help to me.

1. My internet connection is WLL, which is provided by BSNL. Kindly guide me
as to how to configure my Ubuntu (version 7.10, Gutsy) so that I can get on
line. Is any special software needed? The connection is via USB port. My
modem says
"BSNL" on the front of it. And on the back it says LG CDMA Fixed Wireless
Terminal, model LST-260B.

Pls. note that I have done all instructions given here-

http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=876989
then one brother told me to do according to followinginstruction and did so.
Check the point 6 of this tutorial
http://linuxtips.today.com/2008/12/08/install-bsnl-wll-clarity-phone-in-linuxubuntu/
and compare it with your configuration file. You may need to enable
stupid mode, if not done so already.
I have followed above written instructions.

Finally i decided to install ppp driver via synaptic package manager and i
installed it successfully.

then i went to terminal and typed "wvdial"

And then i got----

baba at BABA:~$ wvdial

/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Ignoring malformed input line: "Auto DNS"

WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56

WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.

WvDial<*1>: Initializing modem.

WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATZ

WvDial Modem<*1>: ATZ

WvDial Modem<*1>: OK

WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

WvDial Modem<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

WvDial Modem<*1>: OK

WvDial<*1>: Sending: at+crm=1;at$lgpkt=3

WvDial Modem<*1>: at+crm=1;at$lgpkt=3

WvDial Modem<*1>: OK

WvDial<*1>: Modem initialized.

WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATDT#777

WvDial<*1>: Waiting for carrier.

WvDial Modem<*1>: ATDT#777

WvDial Modem<*1>: CONNECT

WvDial<*1>: Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.

WvDial<Notice>: Starting pppd at Sat Mar 21 21:35:20 2009

WvDial<Err>: Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission
denied

WvDial<Err>: --> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.

WvDial<Err>: Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/chap-secrets: Permission
denied

WvDial<Err>: --> CHAP (Challenge Handshake) may be flaky.

WvDial<Notice>: Pid of pppd: 6547

WvDial<*1>: Using interface ppp0

WvDial<*1>: pppd: З[06][08]

WvDial<*1>: pppd: З[06][08]

WvDial<*1>: pppd: З[06][08]

WvDial<*1>: pppd: З[06][08]

WvDial<*1>: pppd: З[06][08]

WvDial<*1>: Disconnecting at Sat Mar 21 21:35:26 2009

WvDial<*1>: The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.

WvDial<*1>: We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.

WvDial<*1>: Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)

WvDial<*1>: man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.

WvDial<Notice>: I guess that's it for now, exiting

WvDial<Notice>: The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)

baba at BABA:~$

--------------------------

Now pls. tell me what can i do to go online. I have Ubuntu (version 7.10,
Gutsy). My modem is provided by BSNL. CDMA Fixed weireless terminal model-
260B. My modem says
"BSNL" on the front of it. And on the back it says LG CDMA Fixed Wireless
Terminal, model LST-260B.

Pls. see if you can help me.

Thank you

waiting for your kind reply