[ubuntu-in] Tata Indicom Photon on Jaunty

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:39:25 BST 2009

hey all..
Trying to get the Tata Indicom Photon usb device working on Jaunty
When I plug it in, network manager recognizes it and I get an "Auto Mobile
Broadband (CDMA) Connection" option when i click on nm. I editted
connection, entered the username and password provided and still it refused
to connect (the grey lights of network manager never went green).

I then changed /etc/wvdial.conf to:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = ATZ
Phone = #777
Username = internet
Password = internet
New PPPD = yes
Stupid Mode = 1

Upon doing 'sudo wvdial', I got:

sanj at sanj:~/index$ sudo wvdial
[sudo] password for sanj:
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT#777
NO CARRIER
^MODE: 2
^RSSILVL:60
^HRSSILVL:0
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.

etc..

output of lsusb shows device as:
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 12d1:140b Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

any tips / advice ?

thanks,
Sanjay