[ubuntu-in] Continuing Problems with Huawei ETS2288

Moz listmoz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:27:09 GMT 2009

Hi Ram

>> edited RC Local with the lines'
>> sudo -S modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0451 product=0x3401 </home/ram/foo/foo.txt
>> sudo mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
>> sudo mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
When I was trying the configuration for the first time I did all this
from the command line, not from rc.local or anywhere else. So, lets try
this:

1. Change your rc.local to the original state.
2. Change your /etc/modprobe.d/ to the original state too.
3. run the above commands without the password file, just enter the
password manually, all three in the above sequence.
4. backup your /etc/wvdial.conf and create a clean /etc/wvdial.conf,
with the following lines:

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Init1 = ATZ
Phone = #777
Username = cdma
Password = cdma
New PPPD = yes
Stupid Mode = 1

This is the exact wvdial.conf I am using. As you can notice, there are
no pppd options.

And try connecting using sudo wvdial. Sometimes, it will take almost 90
seconds to connect, so go make tea or have a cup or coffee or something,
in case it is taking unusually long to connect. It just might after a
long time.

5. If this does not work, try installing minicom or something similar
and try sending commands to the ETS2288 directly using mincom and see if
it responds correctly.

I got my ETS1201 working as above first, used that, and found no one
could deal with running wvdial from the shellprompt, so I have installed
GNOME-PPP and it works well with that for the past month or so. And
GNOME-PPP is using the following file (this is the exact copy):

[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = off
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 115200
Init = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 =
Init4 =
Init5 =
Init6 =
Init7 =
Init8 =
Init9 =
Phone = #777
Phone1 =
Phone2 =
Phone3 =
Phone4 =
Dial Prefix =
Dial Attempts = 3
Dial Command = ATM1L3DT
Ask Password = off
Password = cdma
Username = cdma
Auto Reconnect = off
Abort on Busy = on
Carrier Check = on
Check Def Route = on
Abort on No Dialtone = on
Stupid Mode = on
Idle Seconds = 0
Auto DNS = on
;Minimize = off
;Dock = on
;Do NOT edit this file by hand!

Tell me if this works for you.

If all this works, only then create the appropriate /etc/rc.local and
/etc/wvdial.conf. I am beginning to read about the ETS2288 in case I can
find something about it.

Regards

Moz