[ubuntu-in] hello! new to list-- 3 questions

suranjan jii suranjan.suranjan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:18:40 GMT 2009

Onkar jii,

On 3/18/09, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde at gmail.com> wrote:

> get
> >>
> >> Try http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?p=876989
> >

> > Many thanks for this reference. It appears to be the perfect reference
> for
> > my needs, as my unit is the very LG CDMA fixed wireless terminal,
> LST-260B
> > model for which directions are given. I followed the directions very
> > carefully. But once the installation is complete, it says that to go
> online,
> > in terminal one should type "wvdial". When I do that, I get the reply:
> >
> > WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
> > WvDial<Err>: Cannot open /dev/ttyACMO: No such file or directory
> >
> > But when I browse to the above-list location (/dev/ttyACMO), there is
> indeed
> > a file there by that name. So I do not understand why it has not worked.
>
> Did you write it correctly in the configuration file as ACM0 (the last
> character is zero, not o).

You are right! I changed it back to ACM0 (zero), and now it accepts all
three initialization strings, and then goes on to show the following:

sending: ATDT#777
CONNECT
Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
Starting pppd at Wed Mar 18 17:27:00 2009
Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
--> PAP (Password Authentication Protocol) may be flaky.
Pid of pppd: 6092
Using interface ppp0
pppd: [code]
pppd: [code]
pppd: [code]
pppd: [code]
Disconnecting at Wed Mar 18 17:19:54 2009
The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)

So you see, it did not go on line. Could it be that the password is not
correct? According to the tutorial, it should be the last four digits of the
phone number, which is what I put in the conf file. But I should add here
that in Windows, the password and username are both the ENTIRE phone number
(excluding the first zero). So I tried changing the password to the entire
phone number in this way, but still I got the same error message as appears
above.

What do you think can be the problem?

Suranjan