[ubuntu-in] hello! new to list-- 3 questions

suranjan jii suranjan.suranjan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:57:23 GMT 2009

Hello there!

My name is Suranjan, and I am just new to Linux. I am a college professor in
Buxar, Bihar and am interested in spreading the news about Linux to all the
professors, staff, and students in our institution.

I myself just recently learned about Linux, and am keenly interested. I have
been searching an alternative to windows for a long time, and feel I have
finally found the answer here in Ubuntu.

I do have three questions, the first of which is critical. If someone is
able to guide me about the second two as well, it will be a very great help
to me.

1. My internet connection is WLL, which is provided by VSNL. Kindly guide me
as to how to configure my Ubuntu (version 7.10, Gutsy) so that I can get on
line. Is any special software needed? The connection is via USB port.

2. SCIM is present in Gutsy, and I would like to use it with Hindi. I have
located the setup utility in System -> Preferences, but cannot get the
actual program to open. According to the setup utility, the program should
be triggered to open upon hitting "shift-space" or "ctrl-space", but upon
doing so nothing happens. Even when a text file is open.

3. I have tried to install a linux spell-checker for use with Hindi which is
supposed to work in Ubuntu. It is called "aspell6-hi-0.02-0", and installs
in terminal using the commands "./configure", "make", and "sudo make
install". The configure command works fine, but when I give the "make"
command, I get an error "Nothing to be done for `all'", as seen below.
Please kindly guide as to how to correct this so that the "make" command
will work.

:~/Desktop/aspell6-hi-0.02-0$ ./configure
Finding Dictionary file location ... /usr/lib/aspell
Finding Data file location ... /usr/lib/aspell
:~/Desktop/aspell6-hi-0.02-0$ make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
:~/Desktop/aspell6-hi-0.02-0$

Many thanks,