[ubuntu-in] Audio too low

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:52:57 GMT 2009

(inline)

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:13 PM, mallikarjun arjun
<mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM, consoleart <consoleart at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu 8.10 for more than a week now, it was a great
>> experience so far.
>>
>> I started realizing that my laptop(HP dv5) audio is too low, some of the
>> movies which works well with windows play with terrible audio(that is
>> too low to hear), iam able to just listen to the audio only with my full
>> volume UP. However in windows this was not the case, even when my volumn
>> is 50% iam able to hear it loud and clear. Is there any setting that I
>> need to alter to make my laptop audio work reallly good !!!
>

> Double click on volume icon on the panel, which open Alsa mixer and you can
> increase "Front" option to max. Hope this helps you.
> Also VLC media player has better output than most other media players(I
> feel).

To add to that:
Double-click on Volume-Control icon.
Check each Device from drop-down.
Make sure all tracks for device are being shown by clicking Preferences and
enabling Volume Tracks.
Turn all levels up and make sure nothing is Mute.
You *should* have normal sound now ..
I'm pretty sure there's a separate gnome-applet for Pulse Audio volume
control though? Does anyone know how to access it? I have found in the past
that killing Pulse and using Alsa only has given me higher volume, though I
wouldn't advise that to anyone really .. better to find out how to fix
Pulse.
While saying that - I hope Ubuntu devs. will look into it - its a silly
issue but really hurts basic usability - its not so straightforward for a
newbie to figure out how to turn their volume up, and I've now had this low
volume problem across 2 machines and three ubuntu versions - why can't all
volume tracks by default be set to full, and people can turn it down if they
like, rather than the other way around?

Thanks! Best of luck..
Sanjay