[ubuntu-in] synaptic package manager error

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Fri Mar 6 20:44:55 GMT 2009

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 23:27:56 +0530
ambika divya <ambikadivya at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is the error message with synaptic package manager whenever i trying to
> open that ...........
> E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
> correct the problem.
> E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
> Please explain whats the problem and how to fix it .
> When run this .....'dpkg --configure -a' says command not found ....
> I am really new to linux ,please explain me simply .

Are you sure that it says "command not found"? That is weird.
What does "ls -l /usr/bin/dpkg" give as output?

Further, while this is not the cause of your immediate problem,
you need to run dpkg as root, so that should be
"sudo dpkg --configure -a" (when prompted for a password, enter
your normal one).