[ubuntu-in] Commercial support and AMC for ubuntu home users in delhi?

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 03:09:39 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Aanjhan R <aanjhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Mir Nazim<mirnazim at gmail.com> wrote:
> > AMC for home user?? Wake Up man.
>
> Why not? We have AMCs for Fridge, Air Conditioners and Water Purifiers
> at home. Similarly I have seen some computer hardware guys going for
> cleanup and general checking up of home systems on a once in 3 months
> or so basis. Not all computer users are nerds/geeks.

 IMHO your analogy is not acceptable. The examples you have given belong to
hardware or physical machines which have some or the other moving parts,
hence they need regular service so as to tune all the components.  Software
too have moving parts but software like ubuntu have a 6 month release cycle
and regular updates ensure everything is in harmony. I know couple of people
who are not computer nerds/geeks and use ubuntu. All they do is to ensure
regular updates and have never felt the need to call someone for a
'service'.
 Let me make it clear that when I use the term 'service', I do not count
configuring accessories such as printer etc. An end user may need to take
help of someone with technical expertise. I refer to service as the process
of ensuring all the installed components are in good order, which in case of
linux can be done via a cron job :)
 Concept of service might be valid in winblows world but as of now I cannot
see any reason for servicing a linux box that is updated regularly...

regards
Vivek