[ubuntu-in] Regarding Ubuntu linux distribution for MPC8641D processor

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:00:49 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Aanjhan Ranganathan<aanjhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> durgaprasadbattulad at bel.co.in wrote:
>> Hello Sir/Madam,
>>
>>      I would like to know if Ubuntu linux supports Freescale's MPC8641D,MPC8640D processor based boards. Iam
>> interested to know if Ubuntu Linux distribution can be cross compiled and the obtained image can be ported on my
>> Freescale' s MPC8641D HPCN platform. I would like to know if any support will be given in this regard.
>
> Hi,
>
> MPC8641D is AFAIK a dual core processor based on the PowerPC
> architecture. Ubuntu officially has stopped support for PowerPC since
> 2007 and hence does not ship  related kernels. However you can still
> obtain the vanilla Linux Kernel from www.kernel.org and tweak it to
> support your board or use Debian's PowerPC port
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/.

Aanjhan,

You are half correct here. PowerPC port is not officially supported.
But it is still community supported. All the packages are built on
powerpc build servers. While the kernel package (linux-ports) were
lagging behind in intrepid, it has caught up with officially supported
architectures in jaunty. I am presently running Ubuntu for powerpc on
my iBook G4.
The CD images for powerpc can be found at http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ports/

Onkar