[ubuntu-in] wi-fi solution discussion

Rohit V Bhute rvbhute at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 16:36:30 GMT 2009

Hi friends.

I plan to network three PCs in my home using Wi-Fi - my own, running
Ubuntu, my father's PC, running Ubuntu and Win XP and my sister's
laptop, running Win XP.

I have a Triband connection that I plan to share. I am reading up about
various security details like how Wi-Fi users should be responsible
enough to use WPA2 encryption and so on.

I plan to use Netgear WGR614 router. My own machine will connect through
its LAN port. My father's and sister's machines will connect through
Wi-Fi. I can't do much about the laptop - its 3 years old and being Win
XP, I expect I should be able to get latest drivers supporting WPA2 somehow.

My main concern is my father's PC. I plan to use a PCI card there. I am
not sure whether the Ubuntu machines can support WPA2 on the Wi-Fi
cards. At least that is what I understood from [1].

So if anyone has setup a home Wi-Fi network with WPA2 encryption on
Ubuntu, could they please let me know the card make and model? I am in
Mumbai and the same model should be easily found here.

Thanks.
--
Rohit V. Bhute
http://rvbhute.org