[ubuntu-in] How to test if the wifi hardware is working

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 11:21:08 GMT 2009

maybe i am being para annoyed ;-)
and there are not wifi networks around so my tools don't show anything

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Aanjhan R <aanjhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:29 AM, ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
> <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>> so is there anyway i can diagnose if my hardware has gone faulty ??
>
> 1. type "iwconfig". it must list down your Wireless interface if its
> working and all through.

iwconfig shows
wlan0     IEEE 802.11abg  ESSID:""
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=15 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

> 2. You can also do lsmod and check whether iwl3945 is loaded or not
output from lsmod
iwl3945                98804  0

so i guess its loaded and runnin
.
> 3. Check your lspci output for your network controller.
>
> Just a curious question. If you are on Intrepid you should
> automatically be having network-manager as your default network
> manager to list and select wireless/wired networks. I am not sure why
> you prefer to this way round.

yes it does, but i like swscanner because if its turned on it
remembers what all wifi access points it  saw and it shows everything
in a summary

i like the watch iwlist command because it feels nice and seems reliable

I guess my wifi is working and there is nothing really to worry about
, except the lack of any wifi services around where i am

thanks

ram