[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Distribution

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 10:12:34 GMT 2009

Hi Anand,

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com>wrote:

> > However i would like to say
> > 1. Don't compare pirated windows with Ubuntu - ethically for a school it
> > sucks and they should know it - buying pirated software to teach kids
> thats
> > not on.
>
> I'm taking about the *real world*.

Am sorry but the *real word* does not mean piracy, esp, not in a school
where fundamentals have to be straight - if kids are going to grow up
learning piracy is ok then i feel sorry for the kids and their generation.

This is a deep discussion with other aspects and if needed we could start a
separate thread on this - but am interested in knowing what other folks
think about schools using pirated software to teach or run their computer
on.

> > 2. Do you and the school have a clear reason for ubuntu - if so what is
> it -
> > make sure everybody understands - changing over to ubuntu will not be
> pain
> > free there will be some grief - even in the long run , however if your
> > reasons are clear then the grief will be tolerable and even acceptable
>
> Many teachers are ready for the switch, only if the installation
> process is easier.

As many people have said - try and get hold of a complete repository - on
DVD / extenal HD - and use that in addition to the base install

try and get an idea of what software they use and check what the
alternatives are on Ubuntu - if you cannot find an alternative google or
post to the list or forum you would be able to get a list of alternative
software.

ram