[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Distribution

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:48:55 GMT 2009

>> * Standard Ubuntu Distribution doesn't play mp3 files
>
> Why does a school needs to play mp3 files?

The teachers like to show some movies and play some songs to the children.

>> * Doesn't come with all Indian fonts (there are some by default but
>> more needs to be installed)
>
> What is wrong with using only one font per language?

The default Telugu font is not the best available.

>> * Adding packages is painful when there is no/slow internet connection.
>
> You are correct. Ubuntu is not one stop solution for all use cases. If
> you want most of the packages to be available on CD then you should
> use Debian.

I don't like to confuse the users to call what they already knew as
Firefox as IceWeasel and so on.

> If you want to use ubuntu in school then you should use edubuntu and
> try to customize it.

I looked at Edubuntu and find that it is heavier than Ubuntu.
I felt that it is more convenient to take Ubuntu and add educational
software to it.