[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Distribution

Sameep sameepk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 07:10:50 GMT 2009

 > I'm a user of Ubuntu and I try to promote it whereever I go. Recently
> > I have been working with a school to covert their systems to Ubuntu
> > and here are some problems that I faced.
> >
> > * Standard Ubuntu Distribution doesn't play mp3 files
> > * Doesn't come with all Indian fonts (there are some by default but
> > more needs to be installed)
> > * Adding packages is painful when there is no/slow internet connection.

 You can try Linux Mint. It comes with all the software you want pre-installed.
 (except language support).

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/6/LinuxMint-6.iso

> > Only way to overcome this problem seems to have a distribution with
> > most of the required software available out-of-the-box.
> >
> > I looked around to see if there is anybody is doing the same. There
> > were some initiatives like this[1], but looks like there are not under
> > active development.
> > (Please let me know if there is any such work in progress)

I had already done it a while ago. A person had on the ILUG Bom group had requested for a Customized CD with Educational Packages.

> > So, I started building a new distribution with the following.
> >
> > * language support for all Indian languages (language-support-te,
> > language-support-kn, ...)
> > * all indian fonts (ttf-telugu-fonts, ttf-kannada-fonts etc.)
> > * A/V codecs bad and ugly
> > * flash plugin (from adobe)
> > * indic-input-extension to firefox
> >
> > To save space on the CD, I removed foreign language support and some
> > other less important packages.
> >
> > I'm also thinking of creating a companion CD with some packages to
> > help people with no/slow internet connection to add additional
> > packages easily.

You can use apton cd for that.

> > If you have are interested to participate or have any
> > suggestions/comments, please let me know.
> >
> > Anand

Regards,

Sameep
http://www.thelinuxblog.co.cc