[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Distribution

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 05:57:46 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Parthan SR
<parth.technofreak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anand Chitipothu wrote:
>> So, I started building a new distribution with the following.
>> * A/V codecs bad and ugly
>> * flash plugin (from adobe)
>>
> Am afraid whether it is legal or illegal to package this into a CD.
> IIRC, they are from non-free portion of the repository
> which is the reason why they're not included in the Ubuntu CD.
> Neither do any other distribution distributes them in their CDs.

I have read flash plugin license and it allows you to distribute the
binaries on a CD.
However, it prohibits you from keeping it available online.

I haven't found what kind of restrictions are there in distributing
bad and ugly gstreamer plugins.
Ubuntu website just gives the following warning.
"In some countries, the use of certain codecs may be prohibited by
law. You should verify that you are permitted to use them before
installing them."

Do you know what kind of restrictions are there on distributing these packages?