[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu India Distribution

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 05:25:35 GMT 2009

> Do you have any form of Internet connectivity available in their premises?

Yes, but it is very slow.

> Which Ubuntu distribution are you referring to?

Every ubuntu distribution. You need to install additional codecs.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

> IMHO, it would be useful to use any form of Internet connection at the
> school premises along with this mailing list and IRC (#ubuntu-in at
> irc.freenode.net) for your queries and support.

I can do that, but not the target audience.
I want people who are not used to internet start using ubuntu.

> Why a CD? If it is one user, having a CD with extra packages helps.
> But, when you have a network, it is my recommendation that you setup a
> system that acts as a local mirror, and you can use that to do a
> network install/update on all the machines:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Server%20and%20network%20installations

It is not practical solution in many cases. It works only if there is
a system-admin to take care of the systems.
What if an individual user wants to install ubuntu on his machine
without internet connection?
Many people think that Ubuntu can be used only if you have internet
connection and I'm trying break that.