[ubuntu-in] diary or journal tool

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 21:21:43 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> am a bit worried about the java linking though - any cause for concern
> >> there
> >
> > java linking? afaik, its all javascript, no java - whats the cause for
> > concern ?
>
> how does it work ??

You will notice you have to run the file as file:/// in your browser - if
you try and run the .html page off a web-server (even on localhost), it will
not work. Firefox (not sure of behaviour of ie) will pop-up a warning saying
"a script on this page is trying to access you local file-system", etc.. and
only if you click "Allow", will it allow the application to save files ..

It's not something people traditionally think Javascript can do, and it is a
bit strange to have a browser saving stuff to your file-system, and most
people do think it must be some strange java applet or something, but its
just javascript - on IE, it uses some ActiveX component, on Mozilla its the
XPCOM interface .. I can point you to the JS function that saves files if
anyone wants - i've actually found this idea quite handy in writing quick
apps.

> javascript links can't be copied like html links ??
>

> **
> also i know nothing about java and javscripts ;-) so there you go

no worries - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript .. the two have some
similarities in syntax, but otherwise are quite completely different things
.. (well, in case you are interested ;-) )

all the best,
Sanjay