[ubuntu-in] Very low sound

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:41:01 GMT 2009

(inline)

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Jay <jayanths at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Ankur Lachhiramka <aklisall at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi friends,
>> Hey I hav installed ubuntu 8.10 in my dell inspiron 1525. But now I
>> dont get a good sound volume even when I connect my external speakers.
>> Plz help me out to solve this problem
>> Thanks
>> Cheers
>>

> I faced a very similar issue.. I double Clicked on the volume Icon which
> opened the mixer.. There i saw that the front speaker volume and master
> volume were very low.. Could you please confirm that this may not be the
> issue?

Yes, first check all your volume controls, and make sure they're all turned
all the way up. However, even with this, I have had some problems with sound
on the same machine (inspiron 1525) - am not sure if this is the best
solution, but what works for me is:
sudo alsa force-reload
this forces the system to use Alsa for sound and not pulseaudio. After
controls - turning them all the way up should fix it.
This is, imo, not a very good way to handle it, but for me, it works -
perhaps someone has a better idea

> If its not, then do tell us the sound card/driver you are using.. the
> command lspci would give you some details..

Since i have a 1525, we probably have the same device - lspci gives me:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

If someone does have a good solution for this problem of low sound, I would
like to know as well - doing an alsa force-reload every time I need to turn
the volume up is really not the cleanest way to handle things :(

Thanks!
-Sanjay