[ubuntu-in] ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 35, Issue 16

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 12:40:44 GMT 2009

> Can we install ubuntu 8.10 on External device like pen-drive, Usb
> Harddisk ?(Not
> live Disk, but want to install the whole setup to external device)

If you just want to try out, it's fine.  But if you wish to extend the
use, don't install it on an external device (ie, accessed through
USB).  The speeds through USB (even 2.0) aren't as great as an
internal HDD and that can cause major speed differences on a larger OS
like *buntu.  As long as you are experimenting with OS's like Damn
Small Linux, Puppy Linux, and even Slax, the speeds are enough.  Go to
something larger, and the performance hit is noticable.

Ninad Pundalik
http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog