[ubuntu-in] General OpenSourcing Doubt !

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 06:36:58 GMT 2009

Reply in-line :-

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 23:42, Venkatesan Padmanabhan
<venkatesanp89 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone, Then basically to appreciate something as your creation
> (though you allow anyone to reuse/modify) you need to copyright it.
>
> @Shrinivasan
> How will GPL ensure it is our work (ie. you are the original creators) if
> you dont own an copyright for it?
>
> and Thanks Parthan, Mine is case (2)

Hi Venkatesan,
             Shall we use a concrete example to show what Shakti means.

This is the copyright file of ubiquity and taken from
/usr/share/doc/ubiquity/copyright in its entirety.

"Ubiquity was formerly known as "Espresso", and originally as "Ubuntu
Express", which is written and maintained by Javier Carranza
<javier.carranza at interactors.coop> and Juanje Ojeda Croissier
<juanje at interactors.coop>. This version draws on the work done on Ubuntu
Express, but was renamed to avoid confusion, to reduce awkward branding
considerations, and because Ubiquity concentrates on reusing
debian-installer code and reducing duplicated translation and branding work
as much as possible. Ubiquity has now substantially diverged from Ubuntu
Express and is an independent project.

The original Guadalinex source can be found at:
	http://ws314.juntadeandalucia.es/guadalinex2005/live_installer/

and Ubiquity is developed at:
	http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-installer/ubiquity/trunk/

Copyright (C) 2005  Javier Carranza
Copyright (C) 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009  Canonical Ltd.

Ubiquity has been adapted for usage by the Mythbuntu
team for the purposes of a Ubuntu derivative focused
upon setting up a standalone MythTV box.

Portions copyright (C) 2007 Mario Limonciello

License:

  (at your option) any later version.

  along with this package; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
  02110-1301, USA.

On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General
Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

ubiquity.png KDE icon copyright 2007 David Vignoni.
License: LGPL 3, see /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL "

As one can see, the software has been developed by somebody else
before Canonical took over, as well as content (i.e. the icon is of
somebody else's) so in that manner you could very well write a
copyright file which is distributed alongwith your work.