[ubuntu-in] Fw: [Indlinux-group] Customized ubuntu with language support enabled.....

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Wed Jan 14 14:51:41 GMT 2009

Forwarding from another list:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:25:30 +0530
From: "shantanu choudhary" <shantanu at sarai.net>
To: "Indian Linux group ," <indlinux-group at lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Indlinux-group] Customized ubuntu with language support enabled.....

Hello all,

I have mailed previously also here seeking help about the packages needed
for minimal distribution, which has all the support for indian languages, in
respect of desktop environment, fonts, support for input of languages. Here
i am posting specifically for ubuntu, and since it is derivative of debian
so same can be done with debian distribution to create custom installable
media with all required packages.
I am using this link
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomizationand following
packages:

*language packages:*
language-support-writing-xx - metapackage for Hindi language support
language-support-translations-xx - Additional translations metapackage for
Hindi
language-support-xx - metapackage for Hindi language support
language-support-fonts-xx - Additional fonts metapackage for Hindi
language-selector-common
language-selector
language-pack-gnome-xx-base - GNOME translation updates for language Hindi
language-pack-gnome-xx - GNOME translations for language Hindi
language-pack-xx-base - translation updates for language Hindi
language-pack-xx - translations for language Hindi
(where xx is:    as: assamese,bn:Bengali, gu:Gujarati,hi:Hindi,
ka:Kannada,ml:Malayalam, mr:Marathi, or:Oriya, pa:Panjabi; Punjabi,
sa:Sanskrit, sd:Sindhi, Ta:Tamil, te:Telugu,ur:Urdu)

*scim* packages enabling input method for different indian languages:

scim-tables-additional - miscellaneous input method data tables for SCIM
platform
scim-modules-table
scim-modules-socket
scim-m17n - M17N Input Method Engine for SCIM
scim-gtk2-immodule
scim-bridge-client-gtk
scim-bridge-agent
scim

*fonts:*
language-support-fonts-xx - Additional fonts metapackage for xx
ttf-xx-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the xx language
ttf-indic-fonts-core

*Others:*
open office, mozilla-firefox-locale-xx (bn, gu, pa), pidgin, gimp, gedit.

there are other packages also available, like for KDE, but here i am using
Gnome, and mozilla-firefox for different languages, and can be installed
just by using command:
sudo apt-get install .........

I have been involved in creating such custom installable media. So in case
you think i am missing some important package here and something which
should be included, let me know. In case you need to try out such DVD/CD,
with language support for any specific language let me know, we at sarai
will be happy to post you the install media, do mention the extra packages
you need, or if you are comfortable with making you own CD and need some
help let us know. Any suggestion, comments, direction, and help will be
highly apprciated.
--
Regards
Shantanu Choudhary