[ubuntu-in] Build-Essential as pre-installed?

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 20:42:32 GMT 2009

<snip>
> available, they are lost.  I agree that all they have to do is insert
> the cd, and run a small command or open up synaptic.  But, it isn't
> mentioned anywhere in the documentation prominently enough.
</snip>

I am not sure what version of Ubuntu you are using. But on my system,
opening the help from System menu and then going to Advanced Topics ->
Writing your own programs -> C and C++, tells me to install
build-essential package.

> So, is it possible to get build-essential included as a package that
> gets installed in the base system itself?  Space won't be a issue, as
> the .debs are already there on the cd/dvd.  This would also make life
> easier for a lot of people, and keep them interested in Linux. This I
> say from the experience of a lot of friends, who took Ubuntu 'lite'
> after they found that they couldnt compile a simple C program, while
> Linux is something that's been mainly coded in C.

Ubuntu is a linux distribution targeted towards home users. Home users
don't compile programs. Still if you want to discuss this further,
ubuntu-devel-discuss is the correct list.

> P.S.: Ubuntu ha sonly vim.tiny installed since 8.10.  I was not very
> happy with this, as I expect many other users would...

Again. You have to define what users you are talking about. Vim full
is quite a big package (with all it's syntax highlighting macros). I
am sure the reason it is not included on CD is to make space for some
other programs deemed important for home users.

Onkar