[ubuntu-in] install gcc

Fabian Enos fabian.enos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 11:39:24 GMT 2009

On 2/27/09, consoleart <consoleart at gmail.com> wrote:

> :-) a perfect reply...this is all it takes....made me smile..:-))))

Thanks you but now I see that Satheesh has dowloaded the source
tarball and has no internet connection so in this case the command
would be pretty much useless

On 2/27/09, satheesh arun <satheesharun656 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, i am very new to ubundu.I installed ubundu inside windows.i don't  have
> internet connection.i downloaded gcc-4.3.3.tar.gz ,but i
> don't know how to install it.

I believe that gcc comes preloaded with Ubuntu but I can be mistaken.
WHat you shoud do is try compiling a .c file and see what happens.

You can check if it is installed by typing 'gcc' in a terminal and see
if any thing happens. If it is not installed then go to
http://packages.ubuntu.com/ , search for gcc  and download the .deb
file and then install it using 'sudo dpkg -i name_of_file.deb' but you
will have to make sure all the dependencies are satisfied.

You can also try 'geany' which is an IDE for C, C++, etc which can
help you to compile, execute, debug, etc the source code.