[ubuntu-in] ubuntu problem with password

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:27:27 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Keshav <msknext at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi there.. i installed ubuntu 8.10 desktop edition.. But the installation
> doesn't ask for a root password.. wen i try to become the super user, it
> asks for root password.. but i dont kno as i have not given it, neither it
> asked during installation.. Plz help me out..
>
> thanks
> Keshav

By default, Ubuntu does not have a root password, nor does it allow root
logins (...well, not directly anyways)
So, you can do all your root-related operations using "sudo <command-name>"
and when a password is asked, you
enter your user password.

If you need root access anyways, you should do the following :
$ sudo su
Enter your user password. You will now be in root mode.
# passwd
Enter a new root password you want to set.
# exit
Now you can go to root, the normal way :
$ su -

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Raseel.