[ubuntu-in] ubuntu-in Digest, Vol 36, Issue 7

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 11:21:51 GMT 2009

Hi,
> Try this command -> sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
This is exactly what he doesn't want to do, if I understood him
correctly.  kubuntu-desktop is just a metapackage that will install
the entire Kubuntu system on any *buntu system.

As far as I know, adding just kdm is what he needs.  But I am not
really sure how that will work out.  All desktop managers are made to
run software made for them, even if they can run softwares made for
other desktop managers.  So, if you manage to just install kdm, it'll
search for a lot of KDE applications/services that it needs to be
fully functional.  For example, KDE on Intrepid would need the entire
Plasma, Phonon and Solid Framework to run properly.  If these packages
are not present and installed, I beleive that you will have a broken
KDM.

If you do wish to experiment, please go ahead.  I'd be interested to
know the results.

>I had installed a few distributions to compare with Ubuntu and one had
>installed an older version of GRUB. When I removed it, that GRUB
>ceased to work and when I tried to reinstall GRUB from my Xubuntu
>alternate install disk it did not work.

The approaches suggested above should work.  But just because you have
mentioned it, are you sure that you're using the same *buntu cd that
you had used to install your base system?(Just a check... we tend to
overlook these things once in a while. ;) )  There might be a version
conflict for the grub .deb.  I recently remember an upgrade to the
grub package, in January if I am not mistaken.

@punchagan: I know this is OT, and I hope to continue this discussion
off-list... I too am a BITSian... Am at Pilani :)

Ninad S. Pundalik
http://ninadpundalik.co.cc/blog