[ubuntu-in] Query: uses of /home being on a different partition

Dibyajyoti Mohapatra dibyam at vubites.com
Thu Dec 24 17:52:28 GMT 2009

*A general query:*
*Is there any performance difference if the /home is on a different
partition compared to the whole hierarchy being on the same partition?*
>> Not really, but it is recommended for better disk space and user data
management.

*Further,*
*The applications I install (from the software centre, or the deb, or by
aptitude), do they take up space in the /home partition or somewhere else. *
>> No, not in /home. (and yes if you keep the .deb files on your home dir
and don't  delete/move them after installation :-) )

*Currently, I have the /home on a different partition than the root. I am
left with only 1 GB of free space in the partition containing the '/' and am
thinking of combining the partitions and reinstalling as one single
hierarchy.*
>> When it comes to re-installation, the /home plays a good role. You can
format the / directory and re-use the /home with all old user settings
without the need to re-configure them.
However now, you may not re-install due to this, instead try to find out
what is taking up so much space.
What is your total disk capacity?

--
Ashutosh Rishi