[ubuntu-in] Query: uses of /home being on a different partition

Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan ashutoshrishi92 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 16:25:21 GMT 2009

A general query:
Is there any performance difference if the /home is on a different partition
compared to the whole hierarchy being on the same partition?
Further,
The applications I install (from the software centre, or the deb, or by
aptitude), do they take up space in the /home partition or somewhere else.
Currently, I have the /home on a different partition than the root. I am
left with only 1 GB of free space in the partition containing the '/' and am
thinking of combining the partitions and reinstalling as one single
hierarchy.
--
Ashutosh Rishi
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish