[ubuntu-in] LAN repository from DVDs

Nandan Marathe nrmarathe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:42:25 GMT 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Dibyajyoti Mohapatra
<dibyam at vubites.com>wrote:

> Thanks a lot Sanjay. I did follow the steps which are pretty straight
> forward and I am able to use my LAN repository now. But the problem that led
> me to order DVDs and create local repository has not been resolved. Whenever
> I try to do apt-get install, it takes ages to install a software. The normal
> download speed at my place is about 40-50 kbps but when I do "apt-get
> install" it slows down to B p/s(Bytes per second).

Have you given the utility to find the fastest mirror from your host a try?
I think you should. Just use System-> Admin -> Software Sources -> Other
server -> Select best server.

For me it generally pics some server from southeast asia, even though there
exists one for asia. Also, in most cases I use the universal ubuntu server
as it also gives decent speed generally.

Also, jfyi, I was also able to successfully create a local repository of
packages (but that was back in gutsy) using apt-mirror, and it worked
fantastically fast (except the part that you initially had to dwld the whole
repository) :)

- Nandan